Hair loss after pregnancy and breastfeeding
Many studies and researches have been done regarding hair loss after pregnancy and breastfeeding. According to them there are 10% of women who suffer from hair loss after pregnancy but there is no such direct relationship between hair loss and breastfeeding.
Hair loss after pregnancy and breastfeeding occurs on the peak of six to twelve months in the postpartum period. This generally occurs due to the hormonal levels especially estrogen hormone going back to the baseline level. This is a natural and normal process and mothers should not worry about it.
According to the normal hair growth cycle, while 90% of our hair is in its growing phase the rest of the 10% is in the resting phase. As the woman
gets pregnant the hair follicles enter into a strong growth phase under the influence of estrogen hormone. As this hormone declines in the postpartum period, hair follicles go into the resting phase for few months and therefore cause hair loss after pregnancy and breastfeeding. This sign is often considered as a signal that the body is returning to the normal physiology after the changes caused by pregnancies.
Hair loss after pregnancy and breastfeeding occurs when the mother is not taking a proper balanced diet. It can occur if there is any vitamin and mineral deficiency or even when there is thyroid dysfunction (hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism). The blood tests should be done whenever there is excessive hair loss to check out these hormonal levels.
Hair loss after pregnancy and breastfeeding can be avoided simply by taking full protein rich diet and taking additional vitamins and minerals along with the diet. Use of hair strengthening shampoos and conditioners can prevent breakage of weakened hair. In addition, mothers should avoid much hair styling products such as gels. Making curls and doing iron straightening may also cause much hair loss. Combing on wet hair must not be done and wide toothed combs to be used. Oiling of hair must be done more often. Mothers should take more fresh fruits and vegetables.
The above mentioned measures can help preventing postpartum hair loss. As it is a normal phenomenon, mothers should not take this problem very seriously and rather take care of their hair. They should refrain from things that may be causing hair loss after pregnancy and breastfeeding and keep themselves away from any sort of social and emotional trauma.